Some of the links on this site are affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and purchase something, I'll receive a small affiliate commission at no cost to you. Thanks so much for supporting my efforts with this blog!
I’m not into purses, bags, or loads of accessories. Whenever I can, I leave my purse in the car (or at home!) and just stuff whatever I need into my pocket (or G’s pocket) rather than lug some silly bag into a store or to an event. On trips, I make use of my jacket pockets (and I mean make use of them) and on shorter excursions, I make good use of my small camera case (only used if it might rain) and stick my wallet in that.
So when I was pregnant and considering what to do about a diaper bag, I knew I would be a little offbeat with that decision, too.
Originally, I thought I’d go the backpack route, but I wasn’t having much luck finding a small enough bag to use in this way. Then I remembered this:
Each teacher received a bag like this a few years ago as a Christmas gift from our administrators. We all loved the bags, but I soon realized that it was impractical because it didn’t really hold anything well – too small for a pack, but too big for a wallet. It zipped strangely, too, making the top portion pretty useless.
I ended up trying to use it for field trips, but it wouldn’t really even hold my emergency first aid baggie (a pair of gloves, some band-aids, some wipes), cell phone, wallet, and folded-up class list. But I liked the bag, so I held onto it.
I discovered that it was the perfect thing for me to use for a diaper bag. Too small for a diaper bag you say? Yes! Why do you think I loved it so much?
So here’s what I assembled for my ideal Minimalist Mama Diaper Bag:
- Shower curtain changing pad (see post here for more on this)
- Smallish packet of wipes (since we use homemade wipes at home, it's whatever I have on hand - often it’s a full-size packet, but always in a pouch and not a box)
- Diapers (a minimum of 4 disposable, but we’ve had more, depending on the outing, and sometimes I pare it down to 2 if I’m bringing along cloth diapers instead)
- An extra outfit (onesie and socks) in case there’s a poopsplotion
- A sweater or jacket and hat, in case it’s chilly
- A receiving blanket (emergency breastfeeding cover, burp cloth, or poop cleaner) for whatever unforeseen mess might befall us
- A birdseye diaper stuffed in the outside water bottle pouch, we use these for burp cloths and any other messes we might encounter
- Plastic grocery bags (usually 3-4, stuffed into the front zippered pouch)
- Hand sanitizer, hooked onto the bag with one of those fun holder thingies (I’m not generally a fan of hand sanitizer, but you know, sometimes it can be really helpful, depending on the conditions you find yourself in during a poopsplotion)
- A couple extra sets of nursing pads (I don’t really like using these, either, but sometimes the faucet just won't shut off...)
- A pacifier (which we don't really use, but it's helpful to have around when you're out and about)
- A small toy
|The diaper bag innards|
And that's it. It's even more than I really need, but nice to have, just in case. I keep it in the car inside a larger bag (for play date-type excursions) and to keep things better organized on the road. When we get out of the car, I can either grab the entire big bag or just the diaper bag, depending on what we're doing. I can even fit my wallet and cell phone in the diaper bag, so that's usually all I have to carry!
What's your diaper bag like? Big? Small? Traditional? Funky? What do you fill it with? I'd love to hear (and see photos)! Either leave a comment here or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.
Also, if you don't want to miss a single minute of great tips like this and all the fun around here, be sure to sign up for free updates and then look forward to having each post delivered right to your inbox.
Linked up with: Merry Monday, Motivation Monday, Thoughtful Spot, Mom 2 Mom Monday, What'd You Do This Weekend, Totally Terrific Tuesday, Two Uses Tuesday, Do Tell Tuesday, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party, Tell it to Me Tuesday, Good Tips Tuesday, Talented Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, A Little Bird Told Me, WFMW, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, The Mommy Club, Summer Family Fun Party, Creative Muster, Grandma Ideas, The Ladies Collective, This Is How We Roll, Frugal Family Linky, Creative Ways, Hearts for Home, Creative Exchange,I'm Lovin' It,Kitchen Fun & Crafty, Inspiration Spotlight, Home Matters, Pretty Pintastic Party, Front Porch Friday, Weekend Potluck, Awesome Life Friday, Creative
We Are THAT Family's Works for Me Wednesday
In & Out of the Kitchen
The Super Mommy
Inspire Me Mondays
Makeovers & Motherhood