Chewy Country Seed Bread, or The Best Bread {No, Really, It Is!}

If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want off of Amazon at no additional cost to you.  That’s it and I’ll get a little bonus.  Thanks so much for clicking!


I haven't purchased any type of bread product in years, maybe even a couple of decades.  I think I'm on my fourth bread maker, and we actually have a new one that I'm anxious to start using, but it's from Germany and we're still trying to work out the power-conversion issues...

I pretty much know that I'm going to use the appliance at least twice a week - for pizza dough on Fridays as well as our weekly loaf of bread.

When I'm lazy super-busy with other important stuff, I make our standard 100% whole wheat bread, but at least once a month, I take the time to plop in a few other ingredients and make what I consider the best bread ever.

Besides being healthy, this chewy loaf is bursting with seeds and flavor, making it difficult for me to do anything with it other than to just sit and chow down on the whole thing right when I take it and its fresh-baked goodness out of the pan.

You don't need a bread maker to make bread, obviously, but it really is so much easier to dump all your ingredients in, walk away, and a few hours later you've got a house filled with that delicious bakery scent and a piping hot loaf ready to eat.  (this one looks like a good one to try!)

What You Need (makes a large loaf):


1 1/2 cups water

2 Tablespoons oil (I use olive or coconut or butter)

4 teaspoons honey

2 teaspoons salt

1/3 cup sesame seeds (you can toast these for a more developed flavor, but I'm usually too lazy for that step)

3 Tablespoons poppy seeds

1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds

2/3 cup rye flour

2 2/3 cup whole wheat flour

2/3 cup bread flour

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast

optional:  garlic powder, amount according to your tastes - because garlic makes everything better!

What You Do:


1.  Dump everything into your bread maker (usually you want it all to be room temperature and to add the wet ingredients before the dry, but check your manual for specifics)

2.  Select basic or French cycle and normal or medium crust.

3.  Walk away (after hitting "start," of course - seems obvious, but it's easy to forget) and 3-4 hours later, have a towel ready to wipe the drool from your mouth as you begin to smell the wonderful aroma now permeating your house!

Go try this bread for yourself.  You won't be disappointed!

What do you think?  Are you able to show more restraint than I?  Will you use the bread for sandwiches, or will you just sit and gorge yourself on the chewy goodness like I seem to do each time I bake up a loaf?  I'd love to hear - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com. 

Linked up with Thrifty Thursday at Living Well Spending Less 
Creative Ways at Posed Perfection
Weekend Potluck at Frugal Family Favorites 
Simple Saturdays BlogHop  
Merry Monday
Motivation Monday 
Mom 2 Mom Monday 
Good Tips Tuesday 
Totally Terrific Tuesday 
Tuesday Tutorials 
Yes Works for Me 
The Mommy Club 
 Creative Exchange
I'm Lovin It 
Creative Collection 
Kitchen Fun & Crafty 
Inspiration Spotlight 
  Weekend Traffic Jam