Simple & Healthy Veggie-Based Meatless Burger Patties

If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want off of Amazon at no additional cost to you.  That’s it and I’ll get a little bonus.  Thanks so much for clicking!



These veggie patties are some of our favorite things to always have on hand.  I try to make up a double batch at a time so that I can freeze the extras, because they're so easy to just grab and reheat when you want a simple meal.

This recipe is also great for experimenting with.  I have loads of recipes for different types of hamburgers (Italian, Greek, Blue Cheese, buffalo, you get the idea), but since we don't really eat meat at home, I try those ideas out with this recipe as a base.

Probably what I like best about this recipe is that the patties are baked!  Not only does that make cooking them super-simple, but they're healthier, too.

You know I love it when I can be healthy and lazy at the same time!

What You Need (Makes 10 patties):


1/2 onion

1/4 cup cheese (any type)

2 cups mushrooms (or zucchini, or a combination of the two)

2 medium-to-large carrots

6 cloves garlic
 
1 1/2 cups rolled oats

1 egg

2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes

2 teaspoons dried basil

2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast

2 Tablespoons water

1 1/4 cups wheat germ or bread crumbs

What You Do:


1. Put the grating blade on your food processor and shred the onion, mushrooms, carrots, and cheese.

2.  Switch to the regular blade and process the grated mixture plus the garlic.

3.  In a large bowl, combine everything from the food processor along with the rest of the ingredients.  I find it's easiest to use my (clean) hands to do this:


4.  Form mixture into 10 flattened balls (about a cup of the mixture in each) and place on baking sheet.


5.  Bake at 375 degrees for an hour, flipping patties over halfway through.



We like to eat these on homemade buns, as well as just plain.  G likes to top his with some homemade mustard.  How about you?  I'd love to hear which way you enjoy them best - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.

Linked up with Thrifty Thursdays at Living Well Spending Less, 
 Yes Works for Me at We are THAT Family,
Kitchen Fun & Crafty at Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons   
I'm Lovin It at Tidy Mom 
Creative Ways at Posed Perfection  
Weekend Potluck at Frugal Family Favorites