Straightforward Hummus

If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want off of Amazon at no additional cost to you.  That’s it and I’ll get a little bonus.  Thanks so much for clicking!

When it came to the yellow dip for Gv's Rainbow Party, I knew from the start that I'd make some straightforward hummus.  It seems everyone likes hummus these days!

Although I usually play around with my hummus flavors (see this post for flavor ideas), I usually begin by loosely following this recipe:

What You Need


6 cloves garlic

2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/3 cup tahini

6 Tablespoons lemon juice

8 dashes of hot sauce

possibly some of the water from cooking the chickpeas (or liquid from the can, if using canned chickpeas)

What You Do


1.  Dump everything into your Ninja and process until smooth, although I've found that I get the creamiest results when I start by processing my tahini, then I add the garlic, then the rest of the ingredients.  You'll only need to add some of the chickpea liquid if you need to thin out the dip's consistency.  If you do, then just add a Tablespoon at a time.

2.  If I'm serving hummus to others, I'll usually dress it up a bit by drizzling some olive oil over the top and then sprinkling it with dried parsley.  It doesn't do much to the taste, but it looks fancy.

Hummus is great with so many dippers: torn-up pita pieces or chips, fresh veggies, bread cubes, or tortilla chips!

Do you have a basic hummus recipe that you use?  Is it similar to this one?  Do you prefer your hummus plain, or to jazz it up a bit?  Let me know - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.

Linked up with Thrifty Thursday at Living Well Spending Less 
Linked up with Kitchen Fun & Crafty at Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons
Linked up with Yes Works for Me at We Are THAT Family  
Linked up with Creative Ways at Posed Perfection   
Linked up with I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom   
Weekend Potluck at Frugal Family Favorites  
Simple Saturdays Blog Hop 
Weekend Traffic Jam