31 Days of Great Children's Music: Just Not Enough Days!


If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want at no additional cost to you.  That’s it and I’ll get a little bonus.  Thanks so much for clicking!
 

Welcome back to 31 Days of Great Children's Music!  This is the big posting challenge I'm participating in that involves blogging every day in October covering just one topic.  It's also where you'll find some super suggestions for children's songs the whole family can enjoy.  

Find the Other 30 Days Here

So I find myself sitting here at the end of this writing challenge with so much more great children's music to share, but I've run out of days.  

Some of these musical choices are worth listening to, but just didn't quite make the cut for a focused post.  Others totally would have made the cut, but I discovered them too late to write a dedicated post on.  So, here you go, an additional list of great children's songs to check out for yourself: 
  • I had a reader ask me about children's rap music suggestions.  While I don't often listen to rap or hip-hop myself, I did find and get these options, which seem like pretty fun choices, even if rap and hip-hop aren't usually your thing:



  • I really wish I'd had a few more days to feature kid's music during this series, because I would have totally had a day focused on Frances England.  Actually, I would have easily bumped another artist to find a spot for her, if I'd discovered her early enough on in the series.  Her music is a blend of folk and indie-pop (if you like the voices of Lisa Loeb and Elizabeth Mitchell from previous days, then you'll want to check her out) and she has several great children's music albums out there:
 
  • Besides owning a large world music collection, I also have a pretty large supply of soundtracks.  Here are a few non-animated choices that are kid-favorites:

  • Folk legend Pete Seeger has several children's music CDs.  We can get pretty folksy around here, so even though it's an "older" music choice, we enjoy listening to him.  We especially like this one.
  • Ella Jenkins is another classic folk singer with a focus on producing great children's songs.  She always seems to include cultural variety in her collections.  This is the album we have.
  •  This next selection is an album full of various styles of music with each song teaching something about science.  If I'd had time to write a separate post about it, you can bet it would have been full of all sorts of science activities!  Check it out for yourself and see just how easy it would be to come up with corresponding activities.
  • Who wouldn't get excited over a musical artist with the name "Slugs and Bugs?"  I was pleasantly surprised at this album; it's another that made me wish I'd had more days left in the series so I could have featured it.  It's a Christian album for kids that sounds nothing like a typical children's album and I'm anxious to check out these other Slugs and Bugs albums, as well:


  •  Another artist I would have easily spent an entire day's post on, if I'd discovered him in time, is Ralph Covert.  The whimsical cover art alone is a reason to buy his albums, but you'll also hear a variety of musical styles and even influences from the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Burt Bacharach.  He's just too good to list just one choice for you to hunt down, so here are several:
 
  • Finally, if you are looking for some typical kid's music with songs like you'd hear at a library story time, then there are always these standards:
 

What did you think of this series?  Can you think of any great children's music that I missed?  What is your favorite pick from all that I shared, or which selections have you most excited to check out for yourself?  Have you tried any of the suggested activities, or read any of the recommended books?  Are you planning to?  I'd love to hear - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.

Linked up with: Merry MondayMotivation Monday, Thoughtful SpotMom 2 Mom Monday, What'd You Do This WeekendTotally Terrific TuesdayTwo Uses TuesdayDo Tell TuesdayLou Lou Girls Fabulous PartyTell it to Me TuesdayGood Tips TuesdayFluster's Creative MusterWordless WednesdayA Little Bird Told MeWFMWHit Me With Your Best ShotThe Mommy ClubSummer Family Fun PartyThe Ladies CollectiveThis Is How We RollFrugal Family LinkyCreative WaysHearts for Home,  Creative Exchange,I'm Lovin' It,Kitchen Fun & CraftyInspiration SpotlightHome MattersPretty Pintastic PartyFront Porch Friday,