31 Days of Great Children's Music: Snacktime


If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want at no additional cost to you.  That’s it and I’ll get a little bonus.  Thanks so much for clicking!
 

Welcome back to 31 Days of Great Children's Music!  This is the big posting challenge I'm participating in that involves blogging every day in October covering just one topic.  It's also where you'll find some super suggestions for children's songs the whole family can enjoy.  

Find the Other 30 Days Here

 
As I mentioned on Day 2, one of my favorite bands is Barenaked Ladies.  So when I discovered that they had an entire album of children's songs, I got pretty excited.

This album did not disappoint.  The opening track, 7 8 9, cracked me up and reminded me of one of my favorite childhood jokes:

(Bert & Ernie show up 45 seconds in for the joke, but I remembered and enjoyed the jazzy "8" bit at the beginning, as well)


Eraser got me thinking about organizing some school supplies, but it got Gv dancing - I'd easily rate it a 10 on the Gv Danceability Scale.  The song also led to the creation of a new dance move which I've named "The Stationary Gallop."

Because so many tracks had that Barenaked Ladies vibe that I enjoy so much, I forgot that I was listening to an album of children's songs.  That is, until I listened closely to the lyrics, which just crack me up.

Besides enjoying the tunes, this album inspired me to come up with a ton of activities and connections:

Activities

  • Make fun kids snacks.  Here are two sites for motivation:
    1. 85 Real-Food Snacks 
    2. Kids Snacks
  • Food Party is a great introduction to an exploration of foods using the senses.  The song mentions textures and flavors (like "bitter" and "umami") that kids don't usually get exposed to unless they're fans of the Food Network.  See if you can copy some of the fun accents they use in the song while you explore the food.
  • Play Humungous Tree and plant a tree for Earth Day (held in April each year).
  • Make a list of what you do and don't like to create a personalized version of the song I Don't Like.  Try to be as silly as the Barenaked Ladies guys are when you sing it. 

  • In the spirit of A Word for That and Crazy ABC's, play one of these fun word games:
 

  • I love to draw, and in a year or two, the song Drawing will give me the perfect excuse to have some drawing fun with Gv (that's more than just random scribbles).  These books can help:
 

To Read

  • ABC Books, with words that make much more sense than those mentioned in Crazy ABC's:
Eric Carle's ABC Book

AlphaOops!

Shiver Me Letters

  • Books to read after listening to Allergies:
The Bugabees

The Princess and the Peanut Allergy

  • After listening to Pollywog in a Bog, get this book:


and then head on over to my friend Pam's blog to see some related activities.

More Music

Other albums of children's songs by popular artists:


Gee, I didn't expect to come up with so many different activities and connections for this album, but I guess with over 20 great children's songs included, it makes sense.  Which one sounds the best to you?  I'd love to hear - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.