Ahhh...what says fall more than caramel apples? These muffins are just the thing to munch on while watching the leaves change color on a lazy Saturday morning.
Or while dreaming of fall foliage, if you're like me and live someplace that has just two seasons: summer and not-quite-summer.
Since these muffins include baking caramels, I didn't include any other sugar. If your palate craves a little more sweetness, then you might want to add in a little honey to your batch. I wouldn't add more than 3/4 of a cup, though. Try a little bit first; you can always add more.
Also, keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming post on making your own baking caramels so you can avoid using the processed stuff in recipes like this. The basic bag of Kraft baking caramels will totally work, though, if you want something fast and easy.
What You Need:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (see how to make your own here)
2 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lightly beaten egg
1 cup milk
1/2 stick melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup peeled, finely diced apple
about 12 diced caramel candy squares (you'll never want to buy some again after you make these)
What You Do:
1. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
2. In another bowl, combine egg and milk, then stir in butter and vanilla.
3. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, stirring just to blend.
4. Stir in apples and caramels.
5. Divide batter among muffin cups (wow, will you check out that price? These would make great stocking stuffers!) and bake at 350 degrees 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Are you drooling over the thought of these caramel-apple-as-a-muffin breakfast treats yet? I'd love to hear - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.
Linked up with:
Mommy Needs a Time Out Link Party
Creative Exchange Linky Party
Frugal Family Linky
I'm Lovin It
Kitchen Fun & Crafty
Pretty Pintastic Party Linky
Simple Saturdays Blog Hop
Mom-to-Mom Link Up
Good Tips Tuesday
Totally Terrific Tuesday
Yes Works for Me
The Mommy Club
Halloween Spooktacular Party