Homemade Diaper Soap

If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want off of Amazon at no additional cost to you.  That’s it!  I’ll get a little bonus.


As I mentioned in my homemade laundry detergent post, I use something different for washing Gv's cloth diapers.  That's because I learned that using soap for things like diapers and towels can actually keep them from absorbing well.

The good news is, making diaper soap is even easier than laundry detergent, because you just have to leave out the soap!  

I usually end up throwing in whatever towels/washcloths we have that need cleaning in with her diapers, but other times I'll throw the towels in with another load - we're not too persnickety with our towels around here.

So here's the modified "recipe" for the diaper detergent, including the addition of tea tree oil along with vinegar in the rinse cycle, just for a little extra germ-killing power.

What You Need




3 cups washing soda (find it here)

3 cups Borax (pick it up here)

1 cup baking soda (find it here) 

3-4 drops tea tree oil (get yours here)

What You Do 


1.  Dump all the ingredients in a container (I like to use a bulk spice or shaker cheese container, because these both have a wide mouth and fit nicely on my shelves).

2.  Shake it all up.

3.  Use 2 Tablespoons per load.  Add 1/2 cup white vinegar and 3-4 drops of tea tree oil to your rinse cycle.

Oh, and as I mentioned in my homemade dishwasher detergent post, after Googling myself silly, I came up with lots of conflicting information regarding borax and whether it's safe/natural or not. Ultimately, I determined that the amount of borax we use is safe (for us).

Do you cloth diaper?  Think you'll make the switch to homemade detergent?  I challenge you to give this mixture a try - it's so easy!  Let me know if you do - leave a comment here or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.

Linked up with Thrifty Thursday at Living Well Spending Less 
Kitchen Fun & Crafty Party at Kitchen Fun with My Three Sons 
Works for Me at We Are THAT Family
I'm Lovin It at Tidy Mom  
Creative Ways Link Party at Posed Perfection 
I participated in Simple Saturdays blog hop 
Merry Mondays 
Motivation Mondays 
The Mommy Club 
The Super Mommy Club