Lime Poppy Seed Cupcakes

If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want off of Amazon at no additional cost to you.  That’s it!  I’ll get a little bonus.

We've been slowly trying to convert our aluminum kitchen stuff over to safer options.  I've had a silicone mini-muffin tray for a while, but needed a similar option for regular-sized muffins and cupcakes.  I went searching and came across these:




I mean, seriously, are they adorable, or what?  (Get your own here)   

I decided on the baking cups instead of a tray, not just because they were so cute, but because they would be so much more versatile.  I knew I could fit two dozen on my large baking sheet in the oven (and free up my other shelves for more goodies) or that I could more easily use a few of them in my handy toaster oven.  (find one here)

When they arrived, I washed them and tried to decide what my first creation would be.  I'd been craving some lemon poppy seed cupcakes, but it was St. Patrick's Day, so I was in a green mood.  Besides, we had loads of fresh limes in the house, so I decided to experiment and see whether lime would be just as tasty in this treat...

Oh, yeah! (said in a Kool-Aid Man voice, of course)

I may never make another lemon poppy seed cupcake or muffin again.

I took a standard lemon poppy seed cupcake recipe that I'd already had and modified it a bit to make it a little healthier.  I'll probably tweak it some more over time, but as it made two dozen full-sized cupcakes and another dozen mini-cupcakes, it may be a while before I tinker with it again.

And those baking cups?  Loved them.  I love the fact that they're reusable and so easy to clean and also the fact that I don't have to grease them at all since the contents pop right out.


What You Need

Cupcakes:

3/4 cup poppy seeds (find them here for a great price in bulk - store the bag in the freezer and then a smaller amount in an old spice container)

2 1/4 cups milk (I used almond)

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

2 cups cake flour

1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder (see how to make your own here)

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

6 egg whites

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I cut the original amount in half, but might cut back even more next time)

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (I will probably use coconut oil or apple sauce - or a combination - in the future.  I usually always do, so don't know why I had such a brain fart this time)

2 Tablespoons grated lime rind



Frosting:

3/4 cup unsalted butter

8 ounces (1/2 a box) confectioners' sugar

1/2 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup grated lime peel

1/8 teaspoon salt


What You Do


1.  Cupcakes:  Combine poppy seeds and 1 cup milk in small saucepan.  Heat to boiling.  Remove from heat; cover; let stand 1 hour.

2.  Mix together whole wheat flour, cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

3.  Beat egg whites on high speed until foamy.  Beat in half the sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until soft peaks form. (I prefer to use my old hand-me-down electric hand mixer for this - it was my mom's and is older than I am!  They don't make it anymore, but I've had several new ones that are pieces of junk, so whenever this one breaks - if it ever does - I'll probably buy thisas a replacement)

4.  Beat together butter and remaining sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy.  Blend in poppy seed mixture and lime rind.  (Nothing beats my stand mixer for this job - get one here.)

5.  On low speed, beat in flour mixture alternately with remaining milk until smooth.

6.  Fold in egg whites until no streaks of white remain.  Fill baking cups with mixture.


7.  Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until centers spring back.  Cool on wire racks.

8.  Frosting:  Beat butter on high speed until fluffy.  On low speed, beat in confectioners' sugar alternately with lime juice until smooth and creamy.  Stir in lime rind and salt.  Spread over cupcakes.  Refrigerate before serving or allow to sit out for a few hours to allow frosting to harden.

What do you think?  Try the lime, or stick with the standard lemon?  Let me know if you try the recipe yourself.  Leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.


Linked up with Kitchen Fun & Crafty at Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons 
Thrifty Thursdays at Living Well Spending Less 
I'm Lovin It at Tidy Mom 
Yes It Works for Me at We are THAT Family 
Creative Ways Link Party at Posed Perfection 
Weekend Potluck at Frugal Family Favorites 
Merry Mondays Link Party  
The Mommy Club
The Super Mommy Club
Creative Collection  
Motivation Monday  
I participated in Simple Saturdays Blog Hop 
Tuesday Tutorials