Answer Me This {Week 14} - Books & Cheese Edition

If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want off of Amazon or Zenni Optical at no additional cost to you.  That’s it and I’ll get a little bonus.  Thanks so much for clicking!


I'm joining in on the fun with Kendra at Catholic All Year for this weekly post:



1. What is your favorite picture book?

Oh, gosh.  Really?  You're asking me about books?  We don't have any books in our house...

We like books.

Just a little bit. {grin}

The problem with having taught first and second grade for years is that I also have an incredibly large collection of picture books - and fond attachments to quite a number of them.  So, here's the shortest possible list I could come up with, after much whittling:

1.  Besides having absolutely the cutest illustrations, the character of Russell is a bit offbeat, just like me:

 

2. Another adorably illustrated book with a character I can relate to.  What?  Me worry?  Oh, no, not at all...

 

3.  Love, love, LOVE the "Words are Categorical" series!  I'd thought I had all of them, but I just discovered a couple new titles that I simply must add to my collection (16 in all).  These books are so much fun and crack me up every time I read them:



4.  Love Cleary's "Math is Categorical" series just as much (I think there are 5 of these):


5.  Speaking of math, anything by Greg Tang (I have them all) is just great:

 



  6.  I love the idea of authors coming up with back-stories for well-known characters, and this book does it so cleverly (turns out there are others like this, too!)  I used to use it along with the original version to discuss point-of-view & perspective in class:

 

7.  Who doesn't love Tomie dePaola's illustrations?

 

8.  For that matter, can you really get enough of Tomie dePaola, period?

 

9.  These cows are just too much:




And books like this one have been favorites of mine ever since I was a child:

 

Because anything by Richard Scarry is fun - you've got to search for the worm, right?  (Who, incidentally, is named Lowly.  I just found that out, after all these years...)  These books were like the precursor to "Where's Waldo!"

Gosh, you know that phenomenon where you go to look something up in the encyclopedia (or nowadays, Google) and one thought leads to another and the task becomes a total time suck and nine hours later you're realizing that it's probably a good idea to eat something or at least refill your water glass before you think of one more great book from your childhood to lead you even further down memory lane?

That never happens to me...

2. Are you a boycotter?


I was going to say no, but then I remembered this Italian restaurant that we had a Groupon for that could have really been the cat's meow and a place that we raved about to everyone we met, but instead the owner made a big stink about not allowing us to bring an infant carrier into his establishment and continued to make a stink when we said we'd just hold our infant on our lap and then the rudeness persisted throughout our overpriced meal while our angelic infant slept silently in my arms and we were seated next to a table of obnoxious, under-dressed, half-drunk party boys.  And by boys, I mean grown-and-should-know-better-than-to-act-that-way-in-a-nice-restaurant men.  

We tell everyone we meet not to ever eat there - unless you are a misopedist, in which case you and the owner would get along fabulously.

So I guess I am a boycotter, after all.

And if you live near me and want to know which Italian restaurant to avoid, then by all means, send me a message and I'll give you the name, along with another wonderful Italian place run by a sweet little couple and that has better prices, better food, better ambiance, and welcomes children with open arms as if they were their own grandchildren!

3. How do you feel about cheese?


Oh, gosh, if there's one thing we love as much as books, it's cheese.

I looked for a clip from Tommy Boy , where Chris Farley says, "I have what doctors call a little bit of a weight problem," because that's totally us, but replace the word weight with cheese... 

Although I did just have a conversation on Facebook with a dear friend recently that involved a discussion of her son's summer cheese belly, and the fact that all three of us have cheese bellies in this house...

So, how do I feel about cheese?  I could wax poetic and write a sonnet to cheese, or an ode.  In fact:





What's one phrase that I pretty much utter (or maybe it should be "udder?") every single night?

More cheese, please!


4. How many pairs of sunglasses do you own?


I have one super-fancy ($10 before a $10-off coupon at JCPenney) pair like these:


that I wear when I have my contacts in. 

Then I have two clip-on sunglass-thingies that came with my recent new glasses from Zenni Optical.
No photos of me in the other pair of glasses, which is funny, since I expected to wear that other pair more often than these!


5. How long has it been since you went to the dentist?


 I go to the dentist every six months and I'm due on 10/1, so I guess it was 4/1.  And that's no April Fool!


6. If you could visit any religious site in the world, where would you go?


G and I would both like to visit the Holy Land (and no, I'm not talking about the TBN theme park located in Orlando), but it will probably be a while before that happens.  Because baby.  And one income.  And danger.

But someday!

I'd love to hear your Answer Me This answers!  Leave them here in the comments or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.  Or, if you blog, then link up to the party and let me know you did here in the comments so I can go check it out!


Linked up with Yes Works for Me at We Are THAT Family
Creative Ways
Linked up with Thrifty Thursday