It's supposed to actually dip below freezing tonight (for like three hours, but still), so I've been busy whipping up some soup to warm our bellies and help keep us nice and toasty until our temps return to the mid‐70s by the weekend.
We were just wearing shorts two days ago, so these three days a year that give us a chance to finally break out our sweaters make for lots of excitement.
I came up with this soup because I have an overabundance of two things: carrots, and onions. G discovered an incredible deal on both items, but since that meant purchasing a 50‐pound bag of onions and 25‐pound bag of organic carrots, I've needed to get pretty creative and throw these two veggies into just about everything we eat.
I also created this recipe by totally just throwing things into my crock pot willy‐nilly, so it's completely the type of thing that you should feel free to monkey around with and adjust, especially if your crock pot isn't quite as large as mine.
What You Need:
2 large onions
3 quarts chicken stock or broth
1 Tablespoon rosemary
1/4 cup lemon juice
What You Do:
1. Slice onions and cut carrots into chunks. (No need for precision, because you'll be blending it all in the end)
2. Pour chicken stock into crock pot and add the onions, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper (these last two will be added "to taste," so just shake some in now and then add more later).
3. Cook on high 3‐4 hours or on low 6‐8 hours.
4. Use an immersion blender to get everything to the consistency you want it.
5. Stir in the lemon juice, then add the hot sauce, along with any additional salt and pepper, to taste.
We always enjoy a nice hunk of bread along with our soup. This one is our favorite, but this is a better option if you're looking for something a little simpler.
Do you fix something warm to eat when it's cold out, too? I'd love to hear - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com.
Linked up with:
Mom 2 Mom Monday
Good Tips Tuesday
Totally Terrific Tuesday
What'd You Do This Weekend
The Mommy Club
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Works for Me Wednesdays
A Little Bird Told Me
Hearts for Home
Frugal Family Linky
This is How We Roll Link Party
I'm Lovin It
Kitchen Fun & Crafty
Awesome Life Friday
Pretty Pintastic Party
Home Matters Link Party