Coconut Milk Caramels

If you want to support what I’m doing with this blog, just follow any of the product links and order whatever you want off of Amazon at no additional cost to you.  That’s it and I’ll get a little bonus.  Thanks so much for clicking!



I set out to make that batch of Caramel Apple Muffins the other day and realized I was happy with everything in it except the caramel.  I'd never made caramel myself before, but I thought surely it would be worth getting past my candy-making trepidation in order to keep some of the junk out of these special seasonal treats.

What I discovered was that these candies are ridiculously easy to make and their taste transcends that bagged junk so much, I'm finding it extremely difficult not to eat the whole batch up just by itself.

That may not seem so hard to believe, but I am not a candy person, unless it's chocolate.  I especially detest anything chewy and gooey like Tootsie Rolls, Now & Laters, Starburst, or caramels.

But OhMyGoodness.  I have absolutely discovered my new binge food.  You can bet that I'll be coming up with all sorts of baked creations that I can throw these little gems into, they're just so good.

What You Need:


1 cup honey

3/4 cup coconut milk (This is the BEST coconut milk to use in your cooking!)

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

2 Tablespoons butter

What You Do:


1.  Combine honey and coconut milk in a sauce pan on high heat until it comes to a boil.  Stir occasionally until mixture reaches soft ball stage (235-240 degrees on your candy thermometer ).  I think this part was what most intimidated me about making candy, but there's really nothing to it if you use the thermometer!

(This took me literally just a couple minutes to make, since I used my awesome new induction cooktop)

2.  Remove pan from heat and immediately stir in vanilla and butter until well combined.

3.  Pour into a generously buttered 8x8-inch dish and freeze for 30 minutes.


4.  Cut into squares (I find it's easiest to use kitchen shears or a pizza wheel ) and add to your favorite recipes...that is, if you don't gobble them all up as you take them from the pan!


 
There!  Isn't that much better than using something with a list of ingredients that were created in a lab?  At first, I was intimidated by candy, but this recipe was so simple, I might be brave enough to venture further into candy-land.  Have you made candy before?  I'd love to hear - leave a comment or email me at lisahealy (at) outlook (dot) com. 

Linked up with:
 I'm Lovin It
Kitchen Fun & Crafty
Weekend Potluck
 Inspiration Spotlight
Simple Saturdays Blog Hop
Creative Collection
Pretty Pintastic Party Linky
Merry Monday
Thoughtful Spot
Motivation Monday
Mom-to-Mom Link Up 
Good Tips Tuesday
Totally Terrific Tuesday
Tuesday Tutorials  
Yes Works for Me 
The Mommy Club 
Thrifty Thursday
Creative Collection
Mommy Needs a Time-Out
The Creative Exchange
Frugal Family Link-Up 
Halloween Spooktacular Party